It's all over. Like ripping off a band-aid. Say goodbye quickly, don't hesitate or look back...just bolt for the door and choke back the tears. Only, I did hesitate, I did look back, but I was able to choke back tears. And today was just our "practice" run, her staggered-entry day, no assigned teacher or classroom yet. I dropped Lily off in the school's auditorium with about 50 other kindergartners, listened to a 6 minute talk about what the day will hold... snack, recess, learning the lunch line, assessments. And then we said goodbye. Today she left me, felt a little better than the other way around. Blue stickers and yellow stickers, divided into two groups, lined up and out the door. Luke and I yelled goodbye and waved animatedly as if she were boarding a cruise. She gave me a half hearted kiss and limp high five as we separated. She is not into public displays of affection. She gets that from her dad.

We left the house 5 minutes later than we should have, traffic was terrible, and just before we parted I accidentally poked her between the eyes with my finger nail which caused a brief moment of drama...but we made it.

On the walk back to the car Luke said, Mom, don't you miss Lil?

Yeah buddy. I do.