When we bought this house, there were two barrels in the front yard; one in a tree bed in the front yard, one on the sidewalk leading to the house, both empty. But I liked them, and knew they had potential. However, gardening is not my strong suit. I like the idea, I just have no skill, no know-how. But if you've spent any length of time with me lately, you've probably heard me mention these barrels, and what I'm going to do with them one day. But tomorrow evening we have friends coming over to see the house so I've been lamenting that one day hadn't come soon enough...

In steps Amy. Amy is my best bud from way back. Close to 20 years I guess (can I be old enought to have a 20-year friendship?) We've lived most of our adult lives many miles apart but now have the pleasure of living close...15 minutes close. Amy has always been soulful. She's deep and prayerful but fun and easy to be around. She has wisdom and grace beyond her years and always has. She was a wise and purposeful teenage girl, if you can believe such a thing exists. She can sing like nobody's business...Mariah Carey in the backseat of the "old gray bag" as her mom drove us to the beach, and now on stage at Elevation. It's really been a joy to get to know her as a wife and mother. She's fabulous at both and has two of the most precious children I've ever seen. I guess I should throw in here somewhere that her husband isn't so bad either :) He is gifted and dedicated man of God who serves our church tirelessly. They make up one very special family. I think the best part of having a long term friendship is seeing one another find a happy-ending. Not that I think either one of us is close to the end, but seeing a childhood friend happily married, enjoying life and motherhood is a blessing. I think we're both doing what we dreamed of doing, loving well.


Sometimes I forget we're proximity-close again. Seems strange but it's as if I had gotten so used to her being far that getting used to her being close has taken time. Like last year when I signed Lily up for preschool I needed two "in case of emergency" contacts aside from David and me. This was a harsh reality to face, we've always had family close enough...with no family, who would get to my babies if I couldn't? It took me a few minutes to remember that Amy was close, and when I did, it felt like a huge relief. This year, filling out the kindergarten paperwork was much easier...she immediately came to mind. Amy is family. Her family is family.


Now back to my barrels. Amy and I were hanging out on her back porch last night, both of our hubbies were still out of town, and I must have again mentioned my barrels. Apparently, I should have mentioned it to Amy sooner. Less than 24 hours later, my barrels are full of life. And I didn't even get my hands dirty.




Thanks Amy. Ella's right, they are piddy and boo-ful.