I love hotels. I've always loved hotels...to me a vacation isn't complete without at least one night in a hotel. And please don't tell me about the Dateline special exposing the filthy bedspreads or behind-the-mirror peeping-toms. I don't care. I love hotels. Lily and Luke have inherited this love, so as you can imagine we were thrilled when we decided to meet my mom and sister at a hotel near Savannah to make a "kid swap"...the kids will be spending a couple weeks in FL.

Bed time rolls around in our Holiday Inn and things get interesting. First, Spiderman has run out of batteries, already. Those cheap batteries that come in the toy usually last as long as my child's interest in the toy, but apparently Luke is quickly wearing Spiderman out. Luckily, he was satisfied that Spidey had just gone to sleep and didn't insist on a midnight battery run. Too bad, so sad on my watch, but Grandma just might have hit the CVS in her moo-moo if a single tear had fallen. Next, Lily and Luke realize how dark the hotel room is (not at all!), and they're used to sleeping with a night light. I had packed a light but it was outside in the Explorer. Glow worm to the rescue. Finally, we begin to settle in but soon figure out just how squished we are in the double bed. You see, Lily and Luke grow extra arms and legs when exposed to darkness so the bed got crowded quick. There were arms, legs, hands and feet everywhere. This time Aunt Lisa saved the day by suggesting we push the bed against the wall. This enabled Lily to scoot closer to the edge, giving all of us more room. Whew. I'm exhausted, the room is an igloo, as Lisa and Mom have broken internal thermostats, but at least we're finally comfortable, or at least as good as we're gonna get. But then again, what is that noise? Oh, that's a cricket. Crap. Sorry for the ugly word, Mom, but what else do you say when you finally get comfy in bed and realize there is a cricket in the room, or near the room or in the room next door. Uggghhh. Rather than be annoyed by the noise like the grown-ups, Lily and Luke were initially scared. Do crickets bite? Do crickets jump on people? No, crickets just make that noise...How do they make that noise? Do they make that noise with their mouths? No, they're busy biting people with their mouths...(no, I didn't say that, but I was over the cricket interrogation).

I still love hotels. I love the knock-you-down water pressure, tiny little shampoos, tissues dispensed from the bathroom vanity counter, miniature coffee pots.... but I really love hotel visits free of crickets, and possibly kids.