Lily and Luke each have a new "night-night" toy. We happened upon a clearance rack of bedtime Spiderman dolls...action figures, whatever. It was love at first sight for Luke. This big, cuddly Spiderman exceeded his every expectation of what a great night-night toy should be. At first I said no, there were big tears, a phone conversation with Grandma and long story short, Spidey came home with us. Of course Lily had a to have a new toy too, and keeping in the line of bedtime toys, I picked out a glow-worm (remember those?) and unlike most of my suggestions, she concurred. Now, I didn't just give into their "wanters"...once I thought about the idea of special bedtime toy, I knew it'd be a great idea for the trip to FL (they're spending a couple weeks with the grandparents). Something special to help them go to bed at night so far from home . I knew these toys were a good idea. I didn't know they'd replace me.

Among other things, Spidey says "Sweet dreams buddy, I'll see you tomorrow." Buddy is a term of endearment in our home. I call both Luke and David Buddy. Now Spiderman does, and Luke actually told me I didn't have to tell him to have sweet dreams because his new Spiderman would do it. Lily's glow-worm plays lullabies...sweet sounding, not that weird mechanical music noise. She informed me I didn't have to sing to her at bedtime anymore which had become our tradition.

I've been replaced by a spider and a worm. I'm a little sad, a little insulted, but mostly pleased that they've become attached to something that makes them feel safe and happy at bedtime, especially so far from home. I wish I'd bought myself a night-night toy to help me feel better while they're gone.