A friend of mine did this on her blog, I thought it was a cute idea. These are a few of the things the kids have said (or still say) in that precious language all their own.

Yiddy...Lily

Tydle, Tortnee and Tody...Kyle, Courtney and Cody, their favorite "big" cousins

hair-poo...shampoo (my personal favorite!)

last mornin'... ??...they both used this phrase when referring to anytime past tense

pa-gamas....pajamas

breks-tis...breakfast

punge...sponge (usually referring to Bob)


commote....remote


dee-o-dee-ent...deodorant
(long before Lily said such a long word, she would put my deodorant bottle up to her neck and make a raspberry with her tongue, no idea why she thought my deodorant made that sound!)

There have also been moments of word confusion...Luke asking to ride the alligator at the mall (escalator), Lily telling us she learned about Frog-Hog Day at preschool (Groundhog) or wanting Grandma to use goose-tape to fix a broken toy. And laughing only aggravates the situation!

These things can stick too. Cody (aka Tody) turns 14 next month. When he was a toddler constuction-type boots became popular. He called them "Cool Yos" and so we all did for years. To this day anyone in our family would know exactly what a Cool Yo is.

I know some of the above are simple articulation and phonological errors, in a former life I had a career of correcting that type of thing in other children. But these are much more, they represent the passage of time, how quickly my babies are growing up. These words may give me a giggle but make me a little sad too. One day she just didn't say "hair-poo" anymore, no warning, just stopped saying it. And there are so many more I know I'm forgetting. There was a funny word for computer that I just can't recall...I always said I would write this stuff down. I guess it's never too late...but if yours are still tiny, just beginning to create their own language WRITE IT DOWN!