Monday night was the first installment of "Momtourage"...a bi-monthly, book-club type gathering of a women, that I had the pleasure of being invited to join. I can remember very clearly the moment I read the first email with vague details of what the "founders" were planning...my heart fluttered. Corny, I know. And I certainly didn't need one more thing. One more night out of the house, one more book to read, one more "group"...but I needed this. God knew I needed this. I'm at a very transitional time in my life as I'm being stretched in almost every area of my life: as a wife, a mother, in ministry...stretched doesn't have to be a bad thing, but it leaves me sore, achy. And the women organizing the group certainly weren't looking for one more thing either. Marybeth, with her 6 children, Kelly with her 4, Dawn and Jess, both with 3 of their own...all leading very full lives, not needing a time filler by any stretch of the imagination. So why start something like this? It was obvious that the Lord lead these women to begin such a journey, inviting a handful of us along according to His purpose. There was nothing accidental about this gathering.

Not all good ideas or groups or events are opportunities God wants me to personally commit too, I've had to learn that lesson the hard way, but this spoke to my heart in a way only He can. And every detail fell into place according to His design, even the night of the week and the weeks of the month on which the group will meet. That doesn't mean hurdles didn't pop up...sick kids, David's flat tire, running late to get out the door...but I've never doubted that God Himself was the ultimate Organizer of this gathering, and I felt humbled and honored that this was His loving answer to a need in my life.

I was so psyched to hang out with friends like Brandi, Kelly and Jess and get to know others like Marybeth and Dawn better. There were a couple women I didn't know at all and I was even excited to make new friends. Can I get any cornier? This isn't even my typical outlook on gatherings such as this, but I had such a receptive heart. I was even looking forward to reading the "assigned" book. I just wanted to soak in every aspect of this evening, and the evenings to come.

As we found a seat around Kelly's comfy family room, Jess opened the group in prayer. Some of the first words out of her mouth were a heartfelt invitation to the Lord to join our gathering, and then with expectation of His presence, she thanked Him for coming among us.

Oh. He's coming? How did I miss that? How did I, all along, know that God was designing this evening, personally involved in drawing every woman there, and yet I missed the fact that He Himself would join us. I had reduced His role to "Event Coordinator" and overlooked that fact that He wasn't simply leading this group of women to spend time together, He was leading this group of women to spend time together with Him. Thank you, Jesus.

And thank you, Jess, for knowing that this evening was about far more than the group of us feeding off one another, it was about drinking from His Well. Between all the details and planning, thank you for remembering that His presence was the true purpose, and through Him, we are able to trust one another, be vulnerable, laugh and cry, feel unity, feel safe, feel loved. Through Him those things were accomplished. His presence immediately set the tone of unguarded freedom and friendship. Wow.

This really opened my eyes. As I think of the good and godly things I immerse myself in, even lead, I have to ask myself, have I reduced Him to a consultant/coordinator position in my life, many times to "Assistant Coordinator" as I attempt to handle all details myself? I can't really reduce God, but I can limit His ability to work through me and those around me by failing to welcome, invite, expect and acknowledge His presence. I miss out and I'm sorry to say that those I bring together, like my family, my small group and my ministry team, miss out too. He is a hands-on, even hands-dirty, kind of God. Why do I, by my actions, keep Him at arms length?

Thanks Momtourage. I've got a lot to learn, thank you for welcoming the ultimate Teacher.