Today is my dad's birthday. I've been churning this blog in my brain all day, trying to think of the best way to honor him, and honestly I'm at a loss. I'm just crazy about both of my parents. On my mom's birthday, I really wanted all of you to feel you knew like my mom. The feedback I got from people who do know her is that my blog description nailed her, she said so herself. It was a lighthearted post, but if you know those simple facts, you know her well. My dad is harder to describe, on paper he sounds almost contradictory: he's so smart and intense, even intimidating, but also has the best sense of humor. Very funny, loves to laugh and joke. He knows the kitchen like the back of his hand, but it's doubtful you'd catch him in a laundry room. His work ethic is fierce, and he puts in long hours at the office but he is not a workaholic. Family is priority, he'll take a day off to go to an amusement park or sit in a pediatrician's office with his grandkids. He's very strong and independent, but needs my mom like he needs air.

But there are so many little things I just don't know about my dad. I can't tell you his favorite TV show or his favorite color. I'm not sure of his favorite movie or pasttime. I do know:

He is the only person to have ever called me by a nickname: Angel. For years, but it's been years.

He gave me his eye color, hair color, skin color...but also his temper.

He talks about me behind my back. Nice things, proud-dad things...word gets back to me.

He is Pa to my kids, and they are quite certain there is nothing he can't do. When I am unable to accomplish a task (like untying a balloon), I often hear...If Pa were here he could do it. Luke also seems to think one day he and Pa will go somewhere in a helicopter. Lily believes his sole purpose in gainful employment is to keep her and Grandma on the go, out to lunch and to Walmart.

My dad is a problem solver and he will always make time to take care of his loved ones: his kids, his siblings, his friends. Not in a bring-you-a-covered-dish kind of way, but a share your burdens and help you find a solution kind of way. I have watched him minister to so many people in practical ways. He's a go-to guy. A question about a legal situation, help with taxes, finding deals on airline tickets, lost cell phones...I just can't even list the ways he's helped people out by offering practical advice or solutions, myself included. My dad's not a lawyer or an accountant or a travel agent, he just understands the way things work. I'm not sure how to best explain it, he just sees things clearly. As an adult, I still often rely on him for advice or practical solutions to problems I'm facing, he never belittles me or makes me feel like he's tired of helping.

I know this post is very random, I hope it does my dad justice. Probably hard to believe it's my 6th attempt and it's taken almost 2 hours. I wish I had a blog post as neatly packaged as the gift I've yet to mail him...but who am I kidding, it's not neatly packaged either!

Happy Birthday Daddy. I wish I were close enough to celebrate with you.