I have never been able to successfully keep secrets. Several years ago, I did plan a birthday trip for David to the Keys... arranged his time off work, packed our bags, and even hid an ice chest full of ice and food in our master closet. I told him the night before we left. That was a great surprise. I've tried to recreate that level of excitement a time or two without success, but I thought this latest surprise might come close.

I wanted to do something special for David, just to let him know that the long days he's putting in at work, the long hours on Sundays, and the way he still makes our kids such a priority (like taking a couple hours out of his morning to go to a preschool donut social) do not go unnoticed. At least not by me. I may be only person in a day to acknowledge the greatness I see in him, I don't want to miss that opportunity. And I know it all catches up with him, often I think he's running on fumes. And I worry about him.


So that leads me to my attempted surprise. David is a HUGE Tampa Bay Bucs fan. For better, for worse. In sickness and in health. Till death. He loves the Bucs. He grew up very close to the stadium, the "Big Sombrero" as it was known before the new Raymond James was built. Going to Bucs games with his dad has been one of the things he has missed the most since we've lived here in NC. Last year when the Bucs were in town, we went to the Panther's stadium and stood outside. Seriously. The kids were dressed in Bucs garb, we clicked a bunch of pics and listened to the crowd inside. We could hear the Bucs players being introduced, that was exciting for David, but sounds kinda sad now. David's employer at the time did have a tailgating event so we at least got free food. But no standing outside for my man this year. I had a little surprise in mind...

I bought two tickets to the upcoming game. The Bucs will be in town very soon and I wanted David to be there. Inside the stadium. Only one thing would make the day better, if his dad was in the seat next to him. So I offered the ridiculous invitation to David's dad, Ron...to travel 600 miles for a football game!? Not a playoff game, not a Super Bowl...just a regular ol' game. I sent a brief email, along the lines of Hey Ron. I'm surprising David with Bucs tickets. Is there any way you'd be able to come go with him? Don't tell me if you think I'm nuts. Well, I myself think it's nuts to travel so far for a game, but Ron must be as crazy as we are. Within about an hour, he was emailing me his flight itinerary!


But here's where my surprise went south: there was a flurry of emailing between myself, Ron and Sheryl (David's step mom who was helping arrange flights). In one of my emails to Sheryl that I wanted to loop Ron into, I clicked the wrong email...you see, Ron's first name is David, and that's how he's listed in my contacts. I clicked the wrong David! My David got a rambling email about airports, flights...meant nothing to him until he found one line about Bucs tickets. I stink at surprises. But I'm still really happy that my favorite guy is going to enjoy his favorite team with his favorite fellow Buccaneers fan. I hope in the coming years they become a trio, with Luke following in their Bucs-loving footsteps.