Luke has apparently decided to tackle breaking all 10 commandments in this, his fourth year. As I've reported in earlier posts, he's quite the liar. That sounds harsh to say about my precious son but there is no way to deny, his pants are totally on fire.

Today, we added theft to our list of broken commandments. He stole a tiny eyeball bouncy ball from a store I will not name in an effort to protect my little felon. I think it may be part of a display or something, like it goes to some Halloween decoration. It just doesn't look like a "sold separately" item. But that certainly doesn't make it any better.

David and I are at a loss. I called him at work for a parental conference that basically consisted of a series of "I don't knows."

Do I go back to the store and make him return it? If so, is it okay to just sneak back down the aisle and put it back or do we have to approach an employee and confess? This is Luke. Sweet, sensitive, timid Luke...I worry about traumatizing him by handling this the wrong way. I have no idea why he's recently turned to a life of crime but with big blue eyes and a smile like his, he could probably make it work for him for years to come.

I did take the ball away immediately, I'm confident that allowing him to play with stolen goods is a bad idea. But I'm at a loss now. I will say that he actually told me the truth about the ball and that made me very proud. As proud as the mother of a thief can be.