Saturday our little foursome dined at Red Robin for the first time. Mmmm, good burger and bottomless fries. A little pricey for my budget (I hate spending more than 2.99 for a kids meal, so 4.59 for a meal that will only be picked at is hard to swallow). Regardless, I had a revelation while waiting for my meal...there are two kinds of people in the world, those who look at the front of the coloring book and those who don't. Some of you know exactly what I'm talking about, a few may need explanation, if so, you're probably the latter.

For reasons I can't explain, David and I were coloring on the kids' menu coloring pages. Red, the restaurant mascot was involved in a variety of sporting events on the mini-book. I carefully reviewed the full-color front of the book and began coloring him accordingly. I do this with all coloring books. If there is a specific character, I need him/her to be exact. As I flipped back and forth to carefully review Red's jersey, shoes and socks, I noticed David was coloring in Luke's book. To my dismay, he was not reviewing the front of the book. He was casually coloring Red's white-with-yellow-trim jersey green. With a grimace I said, Please tell me you'll at least color Red, the red robin, red. Nope. A few seconds later I hesitantly peered over to find a purple bird. But only the arm. And he was done. Colored the shirt and only one arm, incorrectly at that, and then stopped. Just the thought makes me cringe.

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who want need to be right, follow the rules, by the book, to the letter. Those who find comfort in control...and those who don't. Maybe they color Daphne's outfit red, even though every episode of Scooby Doo shows it to be purple. Or maybe they color Boots the Monkey brown, as most monkeys would be, although a quick glance at Nick Jr. would show him to be pastel. Or maybe they color the Red Robin mascot, named Red, purple...and then don't even finish.

I'm not making a judgment call as to which is better. In fact, I wish I was more easy going, less rigid, more go-with-the-flow...I wish only the big things in life captured my full attention to detail and the little things, like kid's menus, were approached with a free, haphazard spirit. I wish, but it ain't happening...cause there are two kinds of people in the world, and I'm a look at the front of the coloring book kind of gal.