Luke and I have gotten very attached to the little fish. Despite his casual mention of the toilet funeral, Luke, the boy, is very compassionate and worries about his fish getting too hot, too cold, too much to each, not enough to eat, etc. Last night, I turned on the aquarium light so Luke, the boy, could watch Luke, the fish, until he (the boy) fell asleep. I assured him that I would come back in and turn the light off. After a few minutes, Luke, the boy, turned the light off himself because he was concerned Luke, the fish, couldn't fall asleep.

This is what it sounded like as Lily and I left Luke's room last night:

Goodnight, Luke. Goodnight Luke.
Goodnight, Luke. Goodnight, Luke.

Goodnight, Luke. (from boy to fish as we walked out)

David did not say good night to the fish.

This morning, Luke, the boy, was concerned that Luke, the fish, would be lonely while he was at school. I assured him I would check in on the fish regularly (just as I did last thing before I went to bed and first thing when I woke up). He told me to tell the fish that he would be home from school soon. He said, "Mom, I want you to say this: Luke, Luke will be home soon." Okay, buddy, I will. Only I didn't. Not because I'm above talking to a fish, because believe me, we've talked, but because today is allergy shot and dance day for Lily so Luke won't be coming straight home after I pick him up and I didn't want to lie to Luke, the fish.

But just so we're not all too confused, Luke gave Luke a middle name. Duke.