I've had a short fuse today. Not sure why, not a bad day...actually a beautiful, made for a trip to the playground kind of day. Regardless of how lovely the weather or even how wonderful it was to not wake up to an alarm clock, for some reason, I was just an outburst waiting to happen. And happen it did.

Word to the wise, you never know when my fuse is short, so I would not advise laughing at my 4 year old when he trips in Walmart as his short legs move faster than his body in an anxious attempt to rush to the toy section to spend his Valentine money from Pa & Grandma, and then stumbles down to his knees. I would not laugh if I were you, I wouldn't even chance a smirk. You will leave headless...I.Will.Bite.It.Off. Teenage boys beware, the cruel laughter that may go unpunished in the highschool locker room or cafeteria will be brought to light and scolded harshly (and loudly). Your attempts to demean another human being will lead to your own demise. You will leave red faced, you will duck down the nearest aisle for safety from the stares of others as you find yourself on the losing end of a short-fused mama. My precious son is not one of your loser friends that you can rip on. My son is kind and compassionate and will not be like you. He will help a fallen child, or anyone else for that matter, not cover his face in obvious laughter with that look of smug superiority on his face. His sweet, humble, daddy-looking face won't even own that look.

My fuse is short today because on a good day, I would have considered my outburst in advance and realized that Luke didn't notice the laughter, at least not until his mama shamed some stranger in the middle of the store. I would have realized that him not knowing was worth more than my tantrum. But I've surely made progress in my journey to be more Christ like, because I think I could have punched that kid...but I didn't, so there's a fruit of the spirit, right? Longsuffering is surely a way of saying hesitant to punch someone's lights out?

If I had it to do all over again, I'm not sure if I'd have wasted my breath (and it does take more breath to yell!) on that mean kid. Sadly, because of my brief but lively reprimand Luke may have been more embarrassed. I'm not sure. He seemed unaffected by it all, and Lily seemed very entertained. I hope they at least know their mama thinks they are worth fighting for.