The official first day of summer may not be until June 21st, but around our house, summer started today! (And we've got the heat to prove it.)

The kids slept until almost 9am. That NEVER happens on a Saturday! I wish that would become their habit, but I'm not getting my hopes up...I'm pretty sure it's just because they had an exhausting weekend. I started to stir around 6:30 a.m., praised the Lord that the alarm wasn't going off (really, I offered up a lovely prayer of thanksgiving in my sleepy head)...and then rolled over and went back to sleep. I was up by 7:30 and really enjoyed the relaxing pace of the morning.

If there is one thing I can do, it's plan and "purpose" the fun out of down time. But I don't plan on making that mistake with our summer. I'm trying to approach this summer with an appreciation of life not being dictated by clock or calendar. We'll have a bit of a schedule just to keep the kids on track , but a day with no agenda sounds like a good day to me! We moved into our house a year ago this month, so last summer was overshadowed by the dreaded task of unpacking. We also enjoyed a beach vacation in July, and then the kids headed to Florida for a few weeks in August. Busyness and activity of all sorts was spread throughout the summer. This year, the kids' Florida trip is the only major thing on our calendar, and it'll take place early in the summer (they go next week!). When they return, we'll have plenty of time for lazy days of sleeping in (fingers crossed), PBJ lunches and afternoons of nothing much.

But then again, there's always the unexpected stuff that pops up. I sit here on "Day 1" putting in black and white that I'm looking forward to an easy-going summer. I wonder what unknowns a September summer-recap will hold!