The weatherman said it today. The "s" word. The four letter "s" word that gives me such a thrill. Not that four letter "s" word...the clean one, pure as the driven...you know, SNOW! I heard it today, just a brief mention, "possible sleet or snow" in Thursday's forecast. For you native northerners (or Oklahomans!) who hardly think a Carolina snow is worth mentioning, I disagree! Twenty-seven Florida winters, no snow. Not a flurry, not a flake. But then it happened, one cold January morning (just one year ago), my no-snow-streak finally ended. My first glimpse of it was through the upstairs window of our apartment, the early morning hours were still dark, the only light shining came from the park style street lamps outside, beautifully covered in white powder...it was lovely, like a movie scene. I didn't feel like I was in a 2 bedroom apartment 600 miles from "home"...I felt like I was exactly where I wanted to be, surrounded by snow.

Because I'd heard NC snow doesn't last long, I woke the kids up right away to see it. When the sun came up it was still snowing and we anxiously headed out to play, dressed in layers of pajamas. I still don't know who was more excited, me or the kids. It didn't last too long... just long enough to build an 12" snowman., just long enough for me to figure out that snow is WET, just long enough to take pictures, call grandparents and make a "first snow" memory that will last a lifetime.



So what else can I say but let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!