Lily and I went to see the Nutcracker on Sunday, as performed by a nearby community ballet. I thought it was the perfect "first" ballet experience for Lily. Beautiful costumes and lovely ballerinas...room full of other squirming children (making mine less obvious) and very reasonable tickets. Brandi and I took our girls, an oasis of mother-daughter time squeezed into an already full day. I think my favorite moment was this exchange between Lily and Avery....

In hushed tones, as "Chinese" Dancers appeared:

Avery: Are they cats?

Lily: No, they're kangaroos...baby kangaroos...joeys.

I missed this brief, confused conversation but Brandi whispered it to me and we both tried to contain our giggles...the thought of our girls mistaking the dancers dressed in oriental attire for cats kangaroos?!? Who knows what else they thought was going on! I'd love to hear their full interpretation. Lily fell asleep during the last act. Sweet time.