Holly's post about the advance preparations she's made to help restaurant trips be more more successful this summer got me to thinking about things I've done to occupy, entertain, and soothe restless children over the past 7 years. One simple "trick" that has stuck for us is the "question game," as we call it. It comes in handy as both a minor distraction while waiting on our food in restaurants, or to burn miles of time on road trips. We started when the kids were just toddlers, so the questions were simple like "Luke, tell me 5 things that are red," or "Lily, tell me 5 things that are cold." As they've grown, our "questions" (although technically they really aren't questions) have increased in difficulty. Words that rhyme, things that need water to grow, words that begin with the letter "s," words that begin with the blend "st." The possibilities are endless. It may not sound all that exciting, but with the unpredictability of kids, we always have a good time (or at least enjoy the break from fussing). On more than one occasion I have kept an SUV full of restless children occupied as they anxiously awaited a turn to "tell me 5 things..."

Inevitably, Lily and Luke will ask for a turn being the quiz master, and although I'm always up for a round of the question game, I seem to be assigned the most ridiculous tasks like, "Mom, tell me 17 things that rhyme with donut."