Eleven years ago today, I woke up beside my new husband. I don't remember if we woke up early or slept the morning away. I don't remember what we ate for breakfast, although I do remember grabbing a bite to eat in the lovely hotel dining room. I don't remember exactly what I was thinking on that day, as I began life as a married woman girl. I was 19. Naive about so much of the world, yes indeed. But I knew all I needed to know about him, at least all I needed to know at the time. I knew he was mine. As far as all the other stuff I thought I had figured out, not much of that I can say I was right about.

So to you, the naive 19 year old certain you've got life and love figured out, I thought you should know...

...you think he's cute now, wait til you see him at 35.

...sex at 19 is not nearly as great as sex at 30, hang in there.

...thank him for how hard he works, don't give him grief for the long hours. His work ethic is immense, and his willingness to work long hours will help keep you at home with your babies. And it will mean the world.

...you think you're tired now, with your part time job and your full time course load. Puh-lease. You ain't seen nothing yet. Rest up, girl.

...he's right about waiting a while to start a family, don't pout like a spoiled child when he says he's not ready. The four easy years you share before the kids will keep you going in the years that follow that aren't so easy.

...you think he has the most beautiful blue eyes you've ever seen, wait til you see them on your son.

...you think his dry sense of humor is endearing, just wait until it pours out of your daughter's mouth.

...you're not always as right as you always think you are, and even when you are, being right won't always feel so good. So don't worry so much about who's right, just love.

...you think you couldn't possibly love him any more than you do right now, but you are so wrong. The hand that slipped that diamond ring on your finger will become the hand that signs your first home loan, becomes that hand that claps as you walk across your college graduation stage, becomes the hand you'll squeeze as you deliver a baby girl...then a baby boy, becomes the hand that helps change diapers and bathe babies, becomes the hand that pats your back and tells you things will get better when you can get a little more sleep, becomes the hand you'll grip tightly as you take a giant leap of faith, becomes the hand extended to introduce your family to new face after new face after new face, becomes the hand that holds yours to quietly worship or lead in new ways and new places you'd never imagined.

...you think by his side is your favorite place to be, well, you're right about that; it always will be. Enjoy every moment of it.