When we moved into this house 19 months ago, I was borderline obsessed with creating the perfect girly room for Lily. Up until then, she and Luke had shared a room. Even before he came along, her nursery was unisex because we didn't know what we were having until the beautiful moment she arrived. So five years of pent up girly-decor-desire came pouring out, landing all over the pale yellow walls in the room that became hers. Three dimensional butterflies, polka dots, tulle...with the help of my mom and sister, I stopped only when I had to...when there wasn't room for even an ounce more of femininity.

And then there was Luke's room. We painted the white walls blue right away, but he wanted rockets. I searched the internet and found very little room decor available. Target had a cute rocket bathroom pattern so with help of my mom and a pair of scissors, a shower curtain became bedroom curtains. About 6 months later, the pattern was discontinued so the $25 trash can, marked down to $6, was added. He had lots of wall space but I drug my feet on doing anything about it. I priced wall appliques a time or two, but they were just too pricey. So the poor little guy's room stayed pretty blah. Until last week. Apparently, rocket bedrooms are now "in" and my mother-in-law found a great rocket comforter for Luke for Christmas. Adding this to his room inspired me to do more. So with a bin full of craft paint, a few of those sponge painters and a wet rag for errors, I went to town on his walls. I had to throw perfection out the window and just wing it because it would have taken three times longer to measure the space, draw lines for reference and then pencil in the design. I'm pleased with the results, but more importantly, so is Luke. Here's what he ended up with...but don't look too closely, in fact, you'll probably be more impressed if you squint a little.





The rocket kind of a combination of what's on his curtains and what's on his comforter. I used different techniques with each of the planets, such as sponge painting; and the stars are stick-on glow stars that he'd spread all over the room months ago. I rounded them up and gave them a proper "space"...pun intended!



The countdown, which is on the opposite wall, begins at 10 and ends at 1, but I zoomed in a little to show off the "fiery" words. I put orange, red and yellow on the sponge tip so the letters would be multi-colored. I made an attempt at some smoke coming off the letters, but it didn't go well...that's what the mistake rag is for!


Now I've been bitten by the painting bug. There isn't an inch of space on Lily's walls so I'm not sure where to go next. I don't know, Holly, I may not stop until my own bedroom is full of cherubs!