Have you ever noticed how great your hair fixes the day you're scheduled to get a new hair cut? I may lose the guys on this one. You get so sick of your same old look, decide to take the plunge, call the salon, make an appointment and promise yourself you will not walk out with just a trim. Then it happens. Maybe the day of, maybe the day before...you wash your hair, blow dry it out and it lays beautifully, fixes like it hasn't fixed in weeks. Your husband gives a compliment, your friends ask what you've done differently...and you begin to second guess whether or not you're really ready for a change. Maybe it's not so bad. Maybe you should stick with your long locks, or your bob or your pixie, your perm or your color for just one more season.

I'm not really thinking about hair tonight. That analogy just works for my life right now. Something important in my life just didn't "fit" anymore, and I knew it, actually for months. Maybe I'd outgrown it...or maybe it had outgrown me. Finally made the tough call, even put it in black and white so I couldn't talk myself out of it. But just like the hair that suddenly looks fresh and vibrant again, I began to second guess my decision. Maybe it would be okay for just one more season. Transitions can be so hard to navigate. What now? doesn't seem to be any easier to answer than What if?

But I am keenly aware that my What now? leaves room for God's What's next.

And He doesn't punctuate with a question mark.