Today is our last day of summer vacation. Sure we have the weekend ahead, but we'd have the weekend anyway, so I consider today, Friday, to be our finale. And last night was Lily's Open House, so it's official, summer is over. Most consider Labor Day to be the unofficial end of summer, I consider the elementary school Open House to carry that weight. Time to wash up the new school clothes and add lunch-packing items to the grocery list. We are now on the other side of summer vacation, the "where did it go?" side.

If I had to sum it up in one word, I'd say "surgery." 2008, the summer of surgery. Luke had surgery, Ella had surgery, Lauren had surgery, Alana had surgery. Am I forgetting anyone? My friends and I did our part to ensure pediatric surgeons across the city don't feel the pinch of an economic recession. But along with the sarcasm, I'll say in all sincerity, the other side of summer brings 4 healthier children. Praise the Lord.

The other side of summer: Lily is blonder, tanner and taller. She's mouthy to her mama but more affectionate with her daddy. She's dreading the Monday alarm clock but walked around the school last night like she owns the place, so I know she's ready. Luke has a fresh batch of freckles and is as tan as a fair-skinned red head can hope to be. He's also more mischievous these days, which is trying his best gal's patience (me). But he's also conquered his fear of haircuts, whew. I've only heard one "I don't want to go to kindergarten" this entire summer, and, God is good, we ran into one of his preschool friends yesterday and found out she'll be at the same school (crossing my fingers for same class)! It's amazing how much a familiar face can mean, even if it is a girl.

Big sigh as I say goodbye to late nights and sleeping in. Bigger sigh as I say (through gritted-teeth) hello to lunch boxes and the alarm clock.