Dear Lily,

Your dad and I owe you an apology. We really wish we could do it (or in this case, not do it) all over again. In hindsight, it's hard to even imagine that we had such a lapse in jugdment. Just proof that everyone, even grown-ups, make mistakes.

When I walked into the house Saturday, after several hours of early morning yard work, and announced that we had to go for a ride with Dad, I was really surprised at your over-the-top reaction. I believed your tears and dramatics were the result of being up too late the night before, and awake to early the morning of...one of the pitfalls of sleepovers. Now I accept that your reaction was indeed most likely the result of our destination. The county landfill. The dump. Daddy and I made you ride to the dump.with.a.friend.

It didn't really dawn on me until we were there, sitting in the truck, noses plugged, gagging and dry heaving, eyes watering from the stench...what had we done to you? Had we really brought your friend to the dump,and not just a little satelitte site...but the big county landfill? How we could be so foolish? Are we trying to ruin your social life at an early age?

To add insult to injury, your dad and I looked like we belonged on the cover of Dirty Digest. My yard working clothes covered in debris and soaked in dew. Your dad's clothes, covered in dirt and soaked in dew and sweat. Uggghhh. Not our finest moment.

I have to say you and Abbs really made the best of it. Once the initial shock wore off, your attitude improved and I think we managed to even make the trip fun. If that's possible. And we certainly got a good laugh on the way home as Daddy and I tried to put ourselves in your shoes and imagine how we would have felt if our parents had done the same. In fact, it's pretty easy for me to imagine, it totally sounds like something your Pa would have done.

I can't promise that your daddy and I won't embarrass you in the future. In fact, I can almost promise you we will. But I assure you, we will never again coincide our once a year landfill trip with a sleepover.

We owe you one baby. Love ya.