Once upon a time, I was a voracious reader. High school, college. I didn't read text books, sometimes didn't even buy them...but popular fiction, ahhh, that I could read. I remember snuggling up in my big chair with a John Grisham novel and finishing it in one sitting, into the wee morning hours. Then I had kids. For the life of me, I can not finish a book anymore. I can start one, oh, I can give it the ol' college try....but I can't seem to finish to save my life.

All that to say, I started yet another new book a few days ago. It's called The Prayer That Changes Everything ~ The Hidden Power of Praising God, by Stormie Omartian. I have several of her books on my shelf, but again, have struggled to finish any of them. But what I find is that even the few chapters I make it through provide pieces to the puzzle, connect the dots for something God is doing in my life, so I keep reading for a season and then for whatever reason, stop reading for a season. This book and accompanying prayer journal were given to me by my mom as we headed out the door from Florida on our last visit. We always make a catch-all bag as we leave (this time it was a box) ...for the toothbrush that was left in the bathroom, the hair barrette on the nightstand, the shoe pushed under the sofa, the DVD left in the player...all those little things that don't make it into the suitcases...and this book made it into my catch all box. I'm a little ashamed to admit that for almost 2 months, that box has been sitting in my dining room, untouched. Until Tuesday morning, when for no explainable reason other than the compelling of the Spirit, I suddenly thought of the book, rummaged through the box, and started reading. Again, I think different things are meaningful for different seasons, and for this season, this book is really connecting some dots for me. And I'm being intentional about applying it to my life...and I'm seeing results.

Yesterday's reading brought me to this list that I just had to share. It's simple, we've probably all heard something similar before, but it spoke volumes to me (especially #9) so I wanted to share...

Ten Things God Never Says:
  1. Oops!
  2. What have I done?
  3. How did I let that happen?
  4. I made a mistake.
  5. It was an accident.
  6. I don't know what to do.
  7. I'm afraid of what will happen now.
  8. I can do better than this.
  9. What do you think I should do?
  10. Why didn't I think of that.