Just so you know - my little assortment of "thankful" posts are in no particular order - I haven't mentioned my children yet, but today, I'm posting about the dog! But when the kids are gone, and the house is quiet, I realize how much I appreciate her presence in our home. I have to admit, although you won't hear us gush about KC often, I am very thankful for her - she's a great, great dog.

Before I had kids, I was a dog lover. Now, post children, I'd have to say I like dogs as much as the next guy - as long as the next guy just kinda likes dogs. But I do love my KC. If you've met her, you know how awesome she is - and chances are you've complimented me on her sweet demeanor, her patience with children, or her obedience. In general, we get far more compliments on the dog than our children. :) Sad, but true.

Several years ago, Lily and I decided we'd really like to add a dog to the family. David, who isn't a dog lover - or a dog liker for that matter, wasn't budging. But when he was scheduled for night shift with the Sheriff's Office, we had him right where we wanted him. I played the "I'll feel better with a dog in the house since you'll be gone at night" card...but Lily, 3 at the time, trumped that when she played the "I'm praying for a dog" card. Nicely played, Lily, nicely played. We first thought we'd adopt from a local shelter, and we weren't too particular though I had 3 non-negotiables: I wanted a dog - not a puppy, I wanted a female, and she had to be great with kids. I prayed God would bring the right dog into our home - probably because I didn't want to hear an "I told you so" from my anti-dog hubby. Early in our search, my prayers were answered when we were offered a beautiful 2 year old Boxer from a family friend who's in-laws were breeders. After a google education on Boxers and a Boxers for Dummies book, we (I) were convinced she was the dog for us - and her birth date is our wedding anniversary, which had to be a sign, right?

Four years and no regrets later, KC is the kind of dog that will no doubt ruin us for any future dogs. I seriously doubt we will ever find another dog with the perfect blend of puppy playfulness mixed with patience and obedience - and best of all, she just came that way! Not one, not two, but three different families who've dog sat for us went out and got dogs after having KC in their home. She's just that lovable. And where do I begin with how amazing she is with kids - and not just my kids - all kids! She's been dressed up in feather boas, bitten by visiting toddlers, forced to be the caboose of many a conga line - without so much as a whimper or snarl. Her love for Lily and Luke is the kind of thing movies are made of, and I'm certain it's her obvious devotion to them that sealed her place in a home where the leader of our pack, Daddy, would prefer not to share his space with a snoring, death-breath, four-legged family member.
So as she squirms and snorts, dreaming away at my feet, I'm thankful for KC and the love and loyalty she's brought into our home.
Waiting at the door for Lily and Luke....















Best friends catching a nap on the floor...

















Enjoying a snow day...