The house is a little quieter tonight, just Luke and I are tinkering around. David and Lily have gone on their first father-daughter date night. This has been one of those "we really need to start..." experiences that we've been talking about since Lily was 3. She's now 7, and I was determined that unlike the "journal the cute things she says" or "write her a letter on each birthday," I would not let this fall by the wayside.

When I first asked if she'd like her daddy to take her out, her reply was "Sorry, I've got plans," although I'd given no indication of when! But the idea rapidly grew on her. All day she's tried to hide her anticipation, although starting to get ready 2 hours before their departure was a dead give away! When I told her she didn't have to wash her hair she said, "I want to so I can do that blow dry thing that makes it look so cute." As I watched her prepare for the big night - picking out a "fancy" shirt, putting on lip gloss - I knew tonight was the start of something very special in her life.

Though she didn't want to admit it, Lily was thrilled at the prospect of having David's full attention, but of course Luke was less enchanted by the idea. Although we've assured him that special "Dad-time" will be set aside for him too, he struggled with them leaving him behind. He's asked repeatedly what he and I will do "fun" while they're gone. I'm torn somewhere between my desire to teach him the life lesson that not everything she does will be reciprocated for him, and my own hankering for a French Delight donut from the Dunkin' Donuts!