...Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 1 Kings 19:11-12

Last month I read the words "expectation destroys appreciation" on a friend's blog. I really chewed on that statement, so poignant in the writer's context of failing to appreciate the simple pleasures in life, like time with family, because we tend to have expectations of perfection. That same expression came to mind as I mediated on the above scriptures. I've found myself returning to them daily, reading them over and over...wondering. In all the noise of life, with all the chaos of a young, busy family - clouded further by my own expectations - am I missing His gentle whisper? Am I expecting God to show up in one way and failing to appreciate, or missing all together, when He moves in a different way? The question hits me like a punch to the gut, because I am certain of the answer. Yes.

It would be easy to allow myself to spend time wrecked over the gentle whispers I am sure I have missed, the glimpses of God I have overlooked, the interventions I have failed to appreciate. But today my prayer is, rather than perhaps miss Him again while looking back, I'll open my eyes, I'll quiet myself, I'll watch and listen. Then I'll acknowledge and appreciate the ways He shows up today. And in doing so, I'll teach my children to do the same.